Thursday, March 21, 2013

wedding accessories...

i LOVE accessories!! some women love shoes, others coats, you'll always find me in the accessories section!  i feel naked without earrings, i literally can't leave the house without them, it ruins my day.  i have a necklace collection that keeps growing.  i knew that the accessories for my wedding would be one of my favorite parts of the planning!

early on i decided that i didn't want real flowers...anywhere at the wedding.  i'm not a huge flower person and i just felt it would save money and also be really fun to buy fake ones myself.  i went to one of my favorite crafty store in NYC, B&Q i got a ton of silk, satin, suede, and lace flowers of all the colors i wanted to incorporate into the wedding.  at the time, i didn't have the bridesmaids dresses that i ended up using.  but luckily what i was about to make tied everything together.

i had never made bouquets before but i figured if i bought styrofoam balls and attached them to styrofoam cones it would be pretty easy to get the right shape.

first i made the two for my bridesmaids.  with a hot glue gun i placed each flower onto the ball.  for the stem i used twigs to cover the cone.  i accented them with baby's breath and tied them with scraps left over from my grandmothers wedding dress.

Next it was time for mine.  i had saved my favorite part of my grandmother's dress for something, i just didn't know what...then it came to me to cover my bouquet stem with it.

it is by far one of my favorite pieces that i created for the wedding.

after that it was onto the boys boutineers...i stayed with the same idea, fake flowers.  for my brothers & my father i used the same flowers for each but in different ways.

The ones i made for my grandparents were also extra special...i used scraps of her dress again, and bought red and black flowers to match what i knew they'd be wearing.  Aside from just being 2 of the best people on the planet they would be playing key roles at the wedding.  my grandmother was going to sing while i danced with my grandfather.   it was a dream come true.  
Then it was onto the groom...i made John a few different things.  of course he needed a great boutineer, but i also wanted to get him some groom gifts.  on etsy i found the perfect cufflinks that they monogrammed for me.  it went well with our whole theme.  i knew he was wearing an old tie of his fathers so i took it and stitched a felt heart that read "i love you" on the back.  i also found an old embroidery picture at our favorite thrift shop that totally reminded me of us.  it said something dumb, so i used some old scrabble tiles (john loves words with friends) to spell out our wedding song title.



Also at the thrift store i found some old lace curtains.  i bought a pillow case dress pattern and made two dresses for my flower girls.   i made their headbands with just ordinary plastic headbands, but i glued a ruffle type flowers to them to make a crown.



i loved them so much that they inspired my own headpiece.  using a white plastic headband and the same type of ruffle flowers i made mine.  i thinned the flowers out a bit and added some beads and sparkle to jazz it up.  i'm the bride after all.


last but not least came the ring 'pillow.'  i bought a wicker birds nest and stuffed it with scraps from my grandmother's wedding dress.  later i added ribbon and 2 fake birds.  (birds tied into what became the pattern for the bridesmaids dresses from Anthropologie)

you're probably wondering when you're going to get to see all of the finished products...soon, one blog at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment